Activities included in the price
- Welcome reception and orientation. Opening talk about the University and Bilbao, with practical orientation. First contact with professors (academic advising).
- Guided visit to historical and avant-garde Bilbao: Old Quarter and Ensanche.
- Day visit (including lunch) to San Millan de la Cogolla (La Rioja), birthplace of the Spanish language, located in a region of renown wines.
- Food tasting tour: pinchos.
- Visit to the Guggenheim Museum: Spain in the context of national and international contemporary art.
- Visit to the Fine Arts Museum of Bilbao.
- Tour along the Way of St. James in Bilbao: History, art and religion.
- Visit to a local school and talk about how they run it, curriculum, trilingual education context.
- Farewell "vino".
- Visit to the San Fermin Festival in Pamplona (Sanfermines), internationally renown and famous for Hemingway's literature. After lunch, visit to the beautiful coastal city of San Sebastian and possibility of resting at its wonderful beaches or visiting its picturesque old quarter.
- Visit to Santillana del Mar (Cantabria), medieval town of great architectural interest, and to the museum of Altamira cave, which was declared World Heritage site by UNESCO.
* Not included in the price. Please inquire about special rates when Course starts.
Other Possible Activities (not included in the price)
The following visits and activities are suggested for participants to do on their own:
- Nearby beaches that can easily and quickly be reached by metro: Ereaga, Sopelana and Plentzia.
- Urdaibai, area including the iconic town of Gernika (which inspired Picasso's monumental painting), Mundaka and Bermeo (typical coastal towns with a long-lasting fishing tradition.
- Portugalete and Las Arenas, connected by the Bizkaia Bridge, known as "Puente Colgante" (suspension bridge), and declared World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 2006.
- Routes around Getxo, with scenic cliffs, coast and beaches.
- Castro Urdiales, charming coastal town near Bilbao.
- Santander, famous for the beach of El Sardinero.
- Vitoria, capital city of the Basque Country, whose old quarter is worth a visit.
- Jazz Festival of Vitoria and San Sebastian, for good music lovers wishing to enjoy the performances of first-line jazz players.
- BBK Live Festival: one of the most popular Pop-Rock festivals in Spain.
- Trips to the multiple festivals and traditional fairs available in nearby picturesque villages.
- Funicular to Artxanda mountain, from where you can enjoy a magnificent panoramic view of the city of Bilbao.
- Boating or canoeing on the estuary of Bilbao.
- Surf, sailing tours, climbing, hiking, outdoor activities...
- Ballroom dances, salsa, tango...